Sunday, January 20, 2008

I did it... I said "no"

On my list for 2008, I wrote that one of the things that I'd like to do this year is say no to something, at least once.

I struggle with this, because I want to be helpful and genereally, when someone asks me to do something, I usually think, that's not a big deal, I can do that. The problem, however, is that when I say yes to too many things, it does become a big deal. Because then I get stressed about every "little" thing that I need to do and it is usually my family who suffers the consequences.

So yesterday, when someone called and asked me to make some posters for a Congo Coffee House that our church is having, I thought: "That's wouldn't be a big deal", but then I remembered all of the things that I need to do this week before our women's retreat on the weekend and how I'd like to spend sometime with my family before I go away and I realized that I wouln't be able to do it.

So I said: "No."

It's strange howI felt good and guilty at the same time.

But, I'm really glad that I said no.

And really, that's part of simplifying, don't you think?


Heather M. said...

Good for you. It's hard to say 'no' but sometimes it is so necessary.

Melanie said...

It's definitely a challenge to say 'no', but your family is going to be blessed with that extra time you will have for them.'

I hope you have a great time planning the retreat this weekend. I had committed to something else that weekend so I'm sad I can't go with you ladies and get to know more women of the church. Maybe next time...

Marcy said...

I totally struggle with that too.

Heather said...

I so know what you mean?? It's hard to say no for sure. Good for you though.