Monday, October 18, 2010

Halloween costumes 2010, part 1

A couple of weeks ago, I received an email from Fiskars with a link to some great Halloween costume ideas. I let the kids look at it and Sage decided that she wanted to be an owl.

Which I thought was great, for several reasons:

1. Her name means "wise one", and the owl thing has just always been connected to that. (One of her first outfits was a cute little Baby Gap one that was covered with little owls. Oh and it was sage green, too!)

2. I love owls.

3. The costume looked quite doable.

So, we hit the thrift shop and bought some corduroy pants/jumper/shirt to make the feathers. A great way to repurpose and save money! (In hindsight, it would have been probably better to just go with polar fleece & felt, as I didn't realize how much the corduroy would fray. Oh well, next time...)

I used an old tank top of mine and sewed the oval shapes (feathers) to it. We decided to use the tank top to layer over a brown long sleeve top (for the daytime/insde parties) or her brown jacket (for trick or treating, because, well, we live in Canada, and it gets cold here.)

The hat I found at Superstore and I followed the Fiskars' directions for making it, changing the colours slightly.

And here's the end result:







Isn't it/she adorable?

Thanks for looking!

8 comments:

Crystal said...

Yes - she is adorable! And the costume is awesome! How clever to repurpose that way! You are amazing :)

@JoyceCasaldi said...

Leigh, that is he best costume I've seen this year! She is to cute!

xoxo... t said...

Oh my goodness, Leigh! I absolutely ADORE this! So so cute - great job!
xoxo...t

Tanya said...

WOW great job Leigh!! She will be the hit of the neighborhood!!

Jessica said...

OMG...Leigh you should make halloween outfits and sell them!!! That is the greatest owl costume EVER!!!! Oh, I wish my little girl had a mama that could dw and make clothes...seriously you should open your own etsy shop and sell stuff like this...GORGEOUS!!!!

Anne Krashel said...

Great job Leigh.
I love it when people (other than me) make costumes instead of buying.

ellen s. said...

oh she is the CUTEST! and that costume is just awesome, leigh!

Andrea Amu said...

Ohh goodness!
How stinkin' CUTE is she!
This turned out awesome!
So can't wait to see these pix scrapped :)