Friday, March 02, 2012

Five for Friday

1. Well, we finally got winter! LOL! Sure, we've had some cold days, but our temperatures have been very mild and above seasonal this year. However, on the weekend, we finally got snow! The kids have been very happy about this, to say the least.... Better late than never?


2. I completed two months of no-sugar/no-deep-fried-foods & am currently on day 62. :) However, I weighed myself yesterday and had only lost one pound in two (or was it three?) weeks, which was a little discouraging.


3. February is I Love to Read month and at Sage & Jonah's school, the theme this year has been fairy tales. To cap off their month, they were suppose to dress as their favourite fairy tale characters. Sage chose Little Red Riding Hood, so I made her a costume.... (I'm not going to lie-- it was frustrating! Especially because I wasn't using a pattern for the cape, just some ideas I got off the internet. But with a lot of fussing, I got it done. But the end result was definitely worth it....)

For Jonah, I found an idea online to make him a Big Bad Wolf costume using a brown hoodie. We went to the thrift store and scored a dark grey hoodie (a perfect match for my Smokey Shadow felt) for $1.50. We added some ears, eyes, a nose and some teeth ("All the better to eat you with!") We also added a Hello my name is... tag on the front to cover the NorthFace emblem.

Here are some photos I took before they went to school... (they were such troopers, seeing as it wasn't warm out that morning!) I apologize for the "over-exposed-ness" of the photos. I took these, thinking they were fine, and then the phone rang, calling me into work.... Anyway, sorry they're not the greatest.



That name tag just totally makes me smile!


4. On the weekend, I'd brought my crafting supplies upstairs to work on making some cards. When I went to clean everything up, I decided to go through my scraps and patterned paper and reorganize them. I sort them by manufacturer, but my favourite or more popular manufacturers have changed over the years, so I needed to change some categories, etc. I ended up giving quite a bit to Sage and to Jonah's teacher. A bit painful to think of what I paid for it originally, but it felt quite freeing to pass it on.

5. While I was doing #4, I came across a few scraps from one of my favourite manufacturers, Scenic Route. They're no longer in business, but I couldn't let these pretty scraps go to waste, so I challenged myself to make a card with them, as well as with this week's Make It Monday at Papertrey Ink: creating large frames with smaller frame stamps:


I used PTI cardstock (berry sorbet), stamps (basic labels, signature sentiments: dress form) & dies (love lives here).

Thanks for looking!

12 comments:

Sherrie M. said...

So pretty. Love the color combo and mix of papers.

Tara LeClaire said...

I adore the costumes you make for your kids, so creative!

Unknown said...

Way to go Mom!!! Those costumes are fab! (Love the card, too!)

Leah said...

Oh Leigh! The kids are just too cute!! The wolf costume came out just pefect and you were right, the name tag just makes it:) Sage is so sweet. Love your card, those papers are pretty.

Joyce said...

Sounds like you had a great week. Your kids in their costumes are just darling. Someday, you will need to make a compilation book of your 5 for Friday posts. They are a great retrospective on your family's daily life.

Elena said...

love those costumes! The hello my name is... cracked me right up :) And blech to all the snow we got (I know the kids all love it, but I want it gone!) I really should move south, for how much I grumble about winter...

Kara said...

such cute costumes...wonderful!!

Deb said...

I agree with Joyce about your Friday posts.

Keep positive about your no sugar/no fried foods. I know you can do it!

And awesome costumes, I might add.

Anita Rex said...

Oh wow I love those costumes you made! You did such a good job! :> Good for you! I love the hello my name is! What a good idea on a hoody! My daughter's school theme was pirates, finding the hidden treasures in books! She told me on Monday that she needed to dress up for Wednesday. On Tuesday night I put together a costume, a red scraf tied around her head, a white shirt with her younger brothers black vest and a gypsy like scarf tied around her waist. We to school and in her class only 3 kids dressed up! I had a good laugh at the boy with dark curly hair his mom drew a black beard on him! :> Love your card too, good for you using up your scraps!

Suzanne Russell said...

I love the costumes for your adorable little ones! They look like they like them too! Love yourl take on the challenge, this week. The colors and patterns are beautiful together!

Tracey McNeely said...

Another great one Leigh.

Julie Overby said...

You are so talented! Love the layout. Your designs are always so clean and gorgeous at the same time!