Saturday, March 14, 2015

Make It Monday #204: watercolour smooshing

Well, today I am off to a Taekwondo Black Belt Development Day 
with Jonah and Sage, but before I leave,
I just wanted to share the cards that Sage & I made for 

First, here's my card:


I started by smooshing some sweet blush and aqua mist inks onto my stamper's select white panel.
I stamped my sentiment (from Bitty Bouquets) and framed it with a Keep It Simple frame die.
I stamped my Bitty Bouquets flowers on their coordinating diecuts and 
added some directly onto the background as well.
A couple of buttons adhered with rustic cream button twine finishes it off.


Sage's friend had a birthday this week, which Sage told me about the evening of her birthday.
I suggested she make her a card.


She stamped the little fox (from Mama Elephant's Three Amigos) and watercolored it using
some Terracotta Tile ink pressed onto an acrylic block spritzed with water.
She really loved this technique!
She stamped the "sorry" (also from Three Amigos) along with the "foxy" from PTI's Hey Foxy.
The sentiment along the bottom is from KIS: Belated Birthday.
I helped her to add the shadow with some grey ink spritzed with water to ground him a little.
She wanted to use my Tim Holtz ink blending tool to add some blue for the sky,
but when she saw the card I'd made, she asked if she could try smooshing.
I was hesitant, since this technique has been hit or miss for me, but one thing 
I've learned it to add lots of water. 
So we inked up the back of my stamp press and spritzed it about five times. 
Sage pressed the cardstock into the watered aqua mist ink and voilà!
It turned out really great!

Thanks for looking!

25 comments:

Betty said...

beautiful card Leigh - love the soft colors in your smooshing and flowers!

Ohhh Snap said...

Such beautiful cards! I do believe the apple fell right next to the tree : D.

Holly AKA KopyKat said...

Oh these are so fabulous! Love your card and the colors are so pretty. your daughters card is so funny.

StephH said...

Leigh, your smooshing technique is just beautiful. I love the soft pastels, and your Bitty Bouquests are SO cute tucked around the KIS die. Nice work!

Tenia Nelson said...

So so pretty!

Gerdine said...

I really lobe the frame on your first card! The second card is absolutely cute!

Megan Carroll said...

Love how soft the colors are!

Teresa Doyle said...

Great cards. You and Sage must have had fun.

Lisa Elton said...

Leigh this card is just beautiful, I love the soft colors and sweet florals! And Miss Sage has made a simply delightful card for her friend! Enjoy your weekend ;)

alexandra s.m. said...

I love them both Leigh!
Have a joyful week-end!

Stebbins Family said...

Soft and sweet smooshing!

I Card Everyone said...

Lovely smooshing! Sage I love your foxy fox, too! I'll bet your friend loved it...
=] Michele

Keep It Sweet and Simple said...

2 terrific cards.
Sage did an awesome job. She's a natural 'smoosher' ;-)

Caroline xxx

Kara said...

that little bit of color at the top of the fox card is just so perfect!

Unknown said...

such gorgeous subtle smooshing!!

Scrap och Ting said...

So beautiful! Like your blog very much :)

Scrap och Ting said...

Beautiful!

Celeste Goff said...

Great cards ladies! I see that Sage is crafty like her mama!

sableturquoise said...

hummm ! so nice, i like the result of watercolour, it's so .... doux !
et bravo à ta fille pour sa jolie carte !

Miriam Prantner said...

Loving your soft smooching!

Kathryn A said...

I love the soft colours on your background! Beautiful cards! You, too, Sage!

Marcia Hill said...

Both you and Sage did a beautiful job on your cards and smooshed backgrounds Leigh! :0)

cm said...

Leigh and Sage: your cards are both amazing! You've worked magic with the smooshing, creating lovely backgrounds for your key images! I tried smooshing and wound up with nothing more than messes! Applauding both your talents!
~c

Tammie Koehnen said...

Lovely cards Leigh and Sage!

I Card Everyone said...

Sage!!! Love your fox and so happy Mom linked it up again today!
=] Michele