Friday, May 27, 2016

Five for Friday

1. Well, after many weeks of performances, recitals, etc,
it's been lovely to have a week where we didn't have very much scheduled!
Although, I did sign up to play on a slo-pitch team this summer
and we had an informal practice on Monday evening.
Jonah and Sage came along and threw the ball around a little
and then went to play on the bike trails in the park.
Have I mentioned how glad I am that it's spring?


2. We're planning a road trip to Denver next month
-- to visit family and to go to Denver Comic Con.
We like dressing up in cosplay (character costumes), but I decided that I
didn't want to wear my polar fleece TARDIS costume -- it would be much too hot!
So, Sage and I decided that together we would be Daleks 
(these are the enemies of the Doctor on Doctor Who.)
However, we also wanted to be comfortable, so we went to the thrift shop,
where I found a brown dress for $2 and Sage got a brown skirt and top.

Then, we purchased some black vinyl, gold spray paint and 20 3" Styrofoam balls.
On Monday, we had a holiday, so we put together our costumes.


The panels hang from the "belts" that attach around our waists with Velcro
in the back.
This way, we can add them to our costume, but didn't need to alter the dress, top or skirt.
What do you think?
Hopefully, John Barrowman (Captain Jack Harkness), Arthur Darvill (Rory),
Jenna Coleman (Clara) and Alex Kingston (River Song) will like them. ;)


3. Tomorrow, Jonah, Sage & I are off to Winnipeg where
we will be volunteering/officiating at the Club Challenge Invitational.


4. This coming Sunday, I'll be bringing my stamps to church
to make Father's Day Cards with my Sunday School girls for our last Card Club.
I'm bringing my PTI Guiding Lights set (one of the girls' dad is from the Maritimes
and so she wants to make her card using a lighthouse), King of the Grill and
On the Farm stamp sets.
I'm also going to bring my diecutting machine and teach them how to diecut.
It should be fun!


5. And speaking of making Father's Day cards using On the Farm,
I have two cards to share that I made using The Challenge #74:


I didn't use a tractor on my cards, but I was inspired with the whole farming theme.
 
 
For my first card, I stamped the background stamped in harvest gold
and green parakeet, doing a little bit of masking.
I stamped the horse and barn overtop in versafine onyx black ink.
I diecut the rectangle die from the MIM Shakers kit.

 
I stamped the sentiment (from KIS: Father's Day) on a strip of black cardstock
and heat embossed it in white.
 
And my second card was a little more CAS...

 
I made a stencil with my Scene It: Skyscapes sunburst die
and applied harvest gold ink mixed with water with a paintbrush to my card front.
Then, I added some green parakeet ink as well.
When it was dry, I stamped the barn in versafine onyx black ink.

 
I stamped the sentiments (from On the Farm and KIS: Belated Birthday)
in versafine onyx black ink, as well.
 
Thanks for looking!


12 comments:

Larissa Heskett said...

SUPER AMAZING Outfits!! Sounds like a FUN Trip you have planned!! I don't know though, they just got more snow!! We are headed to Keystone this weekend and they said they were supposed to get 10-18 inches of Snow!!?? It will be FUN!!?? LOL!! LOVE your Card and have a FUN and FABULOUS Memorial Day Weekend!! =)

Karen B. said...

Such fun costumes and great cards as usual.

Diana K said...

One of your funnest Fridays ever! (1) Yes, add slow pitch to your already busy schedule. (2) Love your costumes - you guys are killing me! (3) Don't bring the die cutter to Sunday School, not after my naughty grandson incident from last week!!! (4) Awesome Father's Day cards. Thanks so much for sharing part of your week with me, Leigh :) Hugs.

alexandra s.m. said...

What a wonderful rich post Leigh!
The two of you look sensational!
Love your pretty cards. Great in these "unexpected" colors ;)
Have a great week-end!

Anonymous said...

Fun costumes and fun cards!! Have fun!

Tracey McNeely said...

Oh my goodness your costumes are fantastic--you will look great for the comic con! Love your father's Day card too, wonderful in yellow!

Michelle said...

Awesome costumes, Leigh!! Wow! I really love your cards, too.

Audrey Pettit said...

Shut the front door!!!! Your Dalek costumes are amazing! Uhhhhmazing! You two are going to be the belles of the ball at ComicCon! And your On the Farm cards are fabulous! I love your color combo and how the black just jumps off the page!

Marlena M. said...

Those costumes are so creative! Fantastic cards Leigh~

Jenni's Jems said...

Wow love those costumes !!!!and love the fathers day card on and congrats on yoor win over at Fusion !!x

Nance said...

First, fabulous costumes, Leigh, they are so fun! Now, awesome farm/country cards! Love the colors and how you created the background! So glad you played The Challenge again!

Kim S said...

Be sure to wave to the southeast while you are in Denver!! I'm only about 20 miles away! LOVE these cards - the parakeet color is such a fresh and fun look with the silhouettes.