Tuesday, February 19, 2013

A summer's worth of photos

Last month, a forum member posted a challenge on my LSS's site. The challenge was to finish up all unfinished projects within six months. I laughed confidently when I read the challenge at first-- all I have left to finish up is my December Daily, I thought. Then, I remembered my photo a day project from last summer.

I had challenged myself to create a mini-Project Life type project, by taking a photo everyday last summer. Then, I was going to create nine 2-page layouts.... one for each week of our summer.

However, to date, I'd only created 2.

But, this all changed yesterday and today, when I'd woken up Monday morning and decided that I couldn't do any other crafting until these seven layouts were done. So I moved some supplies up onto the dining room table and worked on four layouts yesterday (we had the day off because of Louis Riel Day) and three more today (there was no school because it was declared a snow day-- woohoo!-- the first one of the year.)

So, I decided to keep things simple and stick to my original sketch (seen here and here). I used two sheets of 12x12 American Crafts cardstock for each layout, scraps of patterned paper from my scraps file, PTI stamps (fabulous frames) & dies (fabulous frames, modern alphabet & numbers). I also decided to incorporate this week's Make It Monday at Papertrey Ink: Handmade Pinwheels, by including a handmade pinwheel onto each layout.

The scraps I used for July 15 - 21 were all My Mind's Eye.


Here's a close-up of the pinwheel:


For July 22-28, I streamlined my design even more, using some Heidi Swapp (blue) and MME (woodgrain) patterned paper.


The pinwheel was made using Heidi Swapp patterned paper:


For July 29 to August 4, I used Crate Paper (orange) and MME (blue chevron.)


For the pinwheels, I used another scrap of Crate Paper patterned paper:


For August 5 to 11, I used some Echo Park (green) and MME (butterflies, woodgrain) patterned paper.


For the pinwheel, I used Crate Paper patterned paper:


For August 12 -18, I used My Mind's Eye patterned paper.


... and Crate Paper patterned paper for the pinwheel:


For the last two layouts, somehow I'd messed up with printing my journaling (in the seven weeks before hand, I'd printed Sunday to Tuesday on one piece of cardstock and Wednesday to Saturday on the other). However, when I was putting these together, assembly line style, I'd realized that I'd messed up. I decided to just go with it, though, rather than reprint my journaling, so the dates are on the right hand side.

For August 19 to 25, I used some MME (yellow), Heidi Swapp (blue) & Fancy Pants (green -- this was the backside of a Christmas line from several years ago-- nothing was off limits for this project!)


The pinwheel was made using Echo Park patterned paper:


And for my last layout of the summer, I used My Mind's Eye (grey stripe, butterfly) and Crate Paper (light pink, blue herringbone) patterned paper. Since August ended on a Friday, I didn't have a photo for the Saturday spot, so I added another pinwheel and wrote a little paragraph on how it's always hard to see our summer come to an end.


These two last pinwheels were made out of Crate Paper patterned paper:



So, this means that I have completes my unfinished projects-- what a great feeling!
Do you have any unfinished projects sitting around? If so, what are they? Could you finish them in six months?

Thanks for looking!

21 comments:

Leah said...

WOW! What a busy bee you've been and such great LO's to get caught up on:) I've got lots of photos ready to be scrapped that I really want to get done...thanks for the inspiration:)

GabrielaD said...

Great way of documenting your life. I really like these pages! Great pinwheels too!

Teresa said...

What a great jovb finishing your project. love the button in the pin wheel.

craftmates said...

Wow, fabulous job on finishing up all your summer layouts! Those pinwheels are really fun!- Irma

Carolanne said...

Oh my goodness! I am continually amazed by how much you get done! I LOVE these layout pages. What a treasure. The pinwheels are the perfect additions.

Kathryn A said...

These are all awesome, Leigh! They inspire me to do some scrapbooking, too, instead of just cards. And I wanted to thank you for leaving me such a nice comment on my card! I'm new to posting at PTI, but am familiar with your projects, for sure. Your cards are always beautiful!!

Tara Elias said...

That's amazing, Leigh! Congrats on completing that project, I bet it feels amazing!

Jacquie Southas said...

I refuse to answer the question about unfinished projects, but will congratulate you on finishing yours! Love the basic design you went with - the last pinwheel is my fav. There is something about the colors/pattern & bright button that just says summer!

- elbeth - said...

Wow! So much work you've put into your layouts! And such results! Your layouts are always so fantastic. I have no idea how you create such beautiful layouts, they're truly stunning! I'm just waiting for the day when I can take an online class with you as the teacher!

victoria h said...

Fabulous scrapbook pages - the design and pinwheels make all the pages match perfectly.

merryf said...

These are charming! I love how each layout has a different touch, just by using different papers and colors. And the little banners at the bottom with the days of the week are a perfect touch.

Laurie said...

Always in awe of your pages!

Elena said...

The pinwheels are so perfect for your summer layouts!

Pamela said...

Love your layouts so much! And I love how the layouts spans across 2 pages with each day recorded! Love your use of fab frames with the days of the week too! I guess it's time for me to get the coordinating dies and the letter dies too... it's the perfect replacement for thickers :D

Kelly Griglione said...

To be honest, I think the unfinished and not started projects greatly outnumber the finished projects by several multiples! It's my craft ADD. Love that you got caught up, and the layouts turned out so well. Great design to repeat for a theme like yours!

Linda Nicholson said...

Wow! I'm exhausted just looking at all the work you did! I really like how you kept the layouts basically the same while changing up the elements to give each layout a different look. Love all the bright cheery colors!

Linda

Kara said...

adorable pages!! About the pub....i know, we are on the same page!! how cool:) congrats to you too!

Cassi said...

love the lo and repeated design elements i too love pinwheels and banners!

Shay said...

Congratulations on completing your unfinished projects. I really love your layouts, Leigh! Great use of the handmade pinwheels and Fabulous Frames.

bjmartin said...

Wow you have been busy! Love all the beautiful layouts with the fun pinwheels!

Lindsey said...

Absolutely amazing! I need to channel the "Leigh" in me and somehow get caught up on my scrapbooking. I'm seriously contemplating using this idea, but doing it on a monthly instead of weekly basis...it may be my only hope. :)