Friday, April 10, 2015

Five for Friday

1. We had a good Easter.
We went to my mom's on Saturday for supper.
On Sunday, Sage & I attended our church's sunrise service.



In the evening we went to see Furious 7.


(We'd tried to go on Friday and stood in line, only to have it sell out
right before we reached the counter!)
It was really good!
Jonah's already planning on going to see it again tomorrow with his friends.


2. I've decided that I need to give up sugar & deep-fried foods again.
I've gained weight over the winter and would like to lose it.
I gave up sugar and deep-fried foods in 2012 and didn't eat sugar for two & a half years.
Unfortunately, I started eating it again and I can't seem to do things in
moderation -- I'm just not wired that way.
I'm an "all or nothing kind of girl. ;)
So, in an effort to find some sort of accountability,
I thought I'd post my progress on my blog,
hoping it will help me stick to my plans....


3. I gave up sugar on Monday and had my first real temptation last night:
it was Jonah's Jazz Choir's Coffee House (i.e. concert & dessert night)


There are 18 kids in the choir that are going to Banff in two weeks.
Jonah is one of the six boys.
He sang a solo in one of the songs (I'll be There) and did a super job!
Oh, and Sage won a really nice hoodie as a door prize. :)

(Oh, and I brushed my teeth right before we left and didn't eat anything all evening -- yay me!)


4. We have the Festival of the Arts coming up in Morden in the next couple of weeks.
Sage & I are playing a duet on Sunday at the Sacred Evening (Be Thou My Vision.)
On Tuesday morning, Jonah will play two songs on the piano
and then we'll play a duet together (Maple Leaf Rag).
In the afternoon, Sage will play two songs.

The following week, Sage and Jonah will both participate in the Speech Arts
section of the Festival.
They'll each perform one English & one French poem.
Jonah is also doing a duet with a friend.


5. I have four cards to share today.

I was totally inspired by Laurie Willison's 
and found that using my MISTI to make my card made it super
quick and easy to make four cards with the same design.
I just changed up the colours on each one.


I used my PTI Feather's Finery large feather for the technique.
On this card, I inked it in (from top to bottom) tropical teal, Hawaiian shores & aqua mist.
The sentiment is from PTI's Think Big Favourites #3.
A few buttons and twine finish them off.


Here, I used Berry Sorbet, Melon Berry and Sweet Blush.


On this one, I inked the feather in Plum Pudding, Winter Wisteria & Lavender Moon.


And lastly, this one was inked in Enchanted Evening, Blueberry Sky & Spring Rain.

Thanks for looking!

19 comments:

Audrey Pettit said...

I always love your five for Friday posts, Leigh! So fun to see all the family photos and hear what you've all been up to. Can't believe how big the kiddos are getting! So impressed with your ability to give up all sugar and fried foods! Wow, Girl... that is amazing! And LOVE your cards! Fabulous design and love your ombre stamping. The sentiment font is super pretty. I love the buttons you added, too!

Diana K said...

Perfectly beautiful sympathy cards, Leigh. I can't believe how active (and talented) your family is. I had to laugh at your little trick - you brushed your teeth before the dessert event - but I think you're looking great and don't need to give up anything.

Jacquie Southas said...

Great minds do think alike ;), Leigh! I love how the color fades into the sentiment and, for me, this is one stamp that I was very happy to use with the MISTI. So easy to reink and perfectly line up all the feathery edges.

Alex said...

Beautiful Leigh! There are so many companies that have their own version of the feather stamp set, I just don't know which to choose, but I know I need to find one soon! Wishing you lots of luck on your "healthy" journey, giving up sugar can be super hard and tricky. Just remember its better for you to eat 6 small meals a day instead of 3 big ones. You want to keep your metabolism up! I wouldn't give up sugar 100%, especially since so many good fruits have sugar, but I know you can do it!

Teresa Doyle said...

Great cards Leigh. Sounds like you are very busy with the children. I remember those days and I miss them. Enjoy it all.
Good luck with your diet. I found if I keep a food journal I stay safely on track as you can SEE each day how well you are doing. (You can not lie to yourself and you have the records to prove it! LOL) Keeps me accountable.

Marcia Hill said...

Absolutely beautiful cards Leigh! I love how the colors blend so seamlessly on your feathers!! Sounds like you have some very talented (and busy!) kiddos...wishing all of you the best of luck the next few weeks! And good luck with dieting too...I also gave up sugar and most carbs this week and it is harder than I thought it would be! Especially the carbs! Hopefully we can both stick with our plans and get to where we want to be! :0)

Kay Miller said...

It's always so fun to see all of your pictures! You cards are amazing and it looks like you had a fun week! I found out I had hypoglycemia 20 years ago and gave up sugar. It's the best thing that ever happened to me :) Good luck!

victoria h said...

Beautiful ombre stamped cards and good luck with your sugar challenge.

Happy Dance said...

I loved going to Sunrise Service on Easter. Such a joyful fellowship. It's nice to see the pix of your kids too. What a sweet family; you must be so proud! I can't quite give up all the sugar, but I've cut out about 3/4s of it from my diet. Hard to do, and I wish you success with it again! Your cards are lovely. The beautiful feather in all those graduated colors is lovely. As much as we hate to use them, sympathy cards are necessary. These will bring comfort. Really lovely. Have a great weekend. Bev

Megan Carroll said...

Your kids sound so talented....just like you! Love your ombré cards!

Kathy Mc said...

You & Jacquie were on the same wavelength, Leigh! Your feathery cards are beautiful. So fun to see your kids happy and active. Good luck with your diet change!

Nathalie said...

Gorgeous set of cards! Giving up sugar would be so so hard for me so I admire your will! Do you use substitute?

Joyce said...

Happy belated Easter. Love getting caught up with you and your family. Congrats on all the singing performances, and good luck with the sugar-thing. I remember when you went off it a few years ago. You inspired me at that time, and I went without for a while (but not 2 1/2 years). I really love your sympathy card set. Your design is excellent.

Beth H. said...

Good for you for giving up sweets and deep fried food! That is really hard to do with all of the convenience foods we have available to us.

Your cards are absolutely beautiful! I totally want those stamps and need to order myself the MISTI!

I Card Everyone said...

Thanks for sharing your family with us, Leigh... awesome! And awesome stamping as well!!! Gorgeous colors... wow!
=] Michele

Joni Andaya said...

Awesome pictures Leigh! Oh and what lovely cards with ombre effect going on. Pretty!!!

cm said...

Your photos of treasured times and experiences with your family always brings me such joy. From playing together, to praying together, and everything in between, your home is a place of strong bonds and harmony. Wow! I'm also an "all or nothing" person. Giving up sugar is challenging; applauding your decision and resolve. I dip into sugars with the home-made cookies I bake, but try to steer clear otherwise. Sugar makes me feel awful. Deep-fried foods I can't handle. My #1 temptation: bread. LOVE bread. Your cards: gorgeous, delicate and soft, just as sympathy cards should be! Awesome post (even if it's nearly two weeks old *grin*)
~c

Donna said...

Your cards are beautiful; I Love them! Thank you for sharing!

Heartwarmers from Vicki said...

I have feather dies and feathers that I love working with. Your cards are just beautiful!