Friday, July 03, 2015

Five for Friday

1. Last Friday, Sage and I went to Winnipeg to take my mom to see
Cirque du Soleil Varekai for her birthday.
While I'd hoped to take a photo in front of a poster there, like 
Jonah and I did for Walking with Dinosaurs last fall, they didn't have any.
The show didn't allow flash photography and I hadn't brought 
my DSLR, which probably would have gotten me a few decent shots
of the performance, so I was left with just a couple of selfies:


Sage & I took the photo of ourselves after our brief (but fairly successful)
stop at the mall before we met my mom at the bus stop to take the bus
downtown to the MTS Centre.
The next two are on the bus and outside the MTS Centre where my mom got
a hot dog before the show.
Her face in these two photos kills me!
I think she thinks we're crazy -- LOL!
Thankfully, she smiled at the selfie in our amazing seats at Varekai.
I'm glad we could do something fun like this for her birthday!


2. Summer is officially here as Tuesday was our last day of school!


I've decided to do another Summer Pocket Album and take a photo every day to 
document our summer.

We took the kids to the beach that evening and I brought my camera along,
hoping for some good shots.
I got a couple of them goofing around....


But then my camera died.
I switched out the batteries for the rechargeables I'd brought along, but they were dead, too. 
The kids promised me that we would go back again...


3. We did return to the beach on Wednesday for the Canada Day Beach Blast,
where it was crazy crowded!
Jonah and Sage had so much fun playing in the water.



4. Austin decided to join me in my weight-loss efforts starting last Wednesday,
eating no-sugar, no deep-fried foods & no white flour.
I also downloaded a My Plate App to my phone, to track my calories.
I weighed myself yesterday and I've lost 3 lb. since last week, 
for a total of 8.  :)


5. Cameron's uncle passed away last week and we attended the funeral on Tuesday.
I didn't have any sympathy cards on hand, so I quickly made one before we left.
I was inspired by this week's The Card Concept #38 to make my card:


I thought the grey was well suited for a sympathy card:

Five for Friday Leigh Penner @leigh148 #cards

I stamped the roses from Sweet & Sassy's Parisian Postcard stamp set
in Altenew's Warm Sunshine & Caramel Toffee, CTMH's Slate,
A Muse Studio's Slate and PTI's Soft Stone.
The sentiment is from PTI's Think Big Favourites series.

Five for Friday Leigh Penner @leigh148 #cards

I borrowed an idea from Betsy Veldman and adhered my card front 
to a folded piece of Lemon Tart cardstock.

Thanks for looking!

12 comments:

Teresa Kline said...

As I was reading your post, I was thinking the same thing about your Mom, she thinks they are craaazzzy...lol...I had to laugh when you said it too. these are awesome photos, you are a great Mom....luv that you are documenting every day this summer.... so fun!

Lynn said...

Looks like you've had a wonderful start to your summer! Love all the smiling faces. So sorry for your family's loss Leigh.

Michele K. Henderson said...

Beautiful card, Leigh! I love the soft, pretty tones! Very pretty!

Diana K said...

Your mom is so cute! I would be totally just like her, checking you and Sage out and rolling my eyes at the two of you, or pretending I didn't know you :) You made a perfect sympathy card; sorry for your family's loss.

Megan Carroll said...

Your "Five for Friday" posts are so fun. Sounds like you always have a busy week! Love the card attached to the Lemon Tart cardstock. Sorry for your family's loss....enjoy your summer vacay!

Ruth said...

Love your Friday 5 and seeing what you've been up to. Love that card too. So simple and yet says it all. Sorry for your loss. Xx

Celeste Goff said...

Looks like you've been having loads of fun with your family Leigh! I love your elegant and subdued sympathy card. The color combo is perfect!

Audrey Pettit said...

You guys have such fun! Love that you did something so special for your mom's birthday, and love that you guys are so close to the beach that you can just pop in whenever the urge strikes! Huge congrats on your weight loss! That is awesome! And your card is just beautiful, too. So elegant and such a wonderful design!

Kerin said...

I love the assorted flower colors, and the bold sentiment is perfect! Thanks for joining us this week at The Card Concept :)

cm said...

Another captivating post, Leigh...I love the joy I see in your children, and I especially love how you document 'moments' as reminders of time shared together. You really do make their lives so special, especially in the 'simple things' that truly do have major impacts. Your mom's face...priceless! I'm so sorry to hear of Cameron's uncle passing - sending hugs! As for your card: beautiful, elegant, touching!
~c

Monika/Buzsy said...

Fun family photos Leigh. Kids are so big! Lovely card. The colors are so pretty.

Joyce said...

Beautiful card, and I am sorry for your loss. Love the update on your family's goings on. The kids are getting so big. You are lucky they still want to hang out with you and allow you to take pictures. And, congrats on the weight loss. That is great.