Thursday, April 19, 2012

Welcome, baby

My friends, Beth & Greg, had a new baby boy in February (welcome, Baby Declan!) and I'm finally getting around to sending them a gift & a card. I konw, it's pretty sad, but this way, it stretches out the gift giving. ;)

We got him an adorable striped polo onesie and I made a card to coordinate with it. I decided to use this week's Make It Monday at Papertrey Ink: Step it up: Layering in making the two cards, as well as this week's Monday with Melis Challenge, which was to create a card using the following:

1. A new to you style.
2. A cupcake or something sweet (cherries, pie, cake, candy, etc.).
3. Buttons.
4. A background stamp.

For my "new to me style" I decided to go very CAS, with some masking & colouring with watercolour pencils (things I don't do very often.) Here's my card:

I used PTI cardstock (soft stone), stamps (tremendous treats: birthday, BB: Retro, BB: woodgrain, simple sentiments) & button. The watercolour pencils and blenders I used are SU!

So for my "step-it-up", I added some patterned paper, a few different colours & some dies & paper-piecing. I also used Sketch #7 from Sketchbook 4.

I used PTI cardstock (soft stone, harvest gold, rustic white), stamps (tremendous treats: birthday, simple sentiments) & dies (oval dies). The patterned paper is My Mind's Eye.

So, which one do you like better?
Thanks for looking!

18 comments:

Michelle said...

Both cards are cute. I am partial to the 2nd one though. I love the soft color palette and the sewing. It reminds me of a quilt.

Elena said...

i l-o-v-e your stepped up version. Fantastic card!!!

Melissa said...

These are both so sweet Leigh. I could never pick a have, but just love what you did with both. Love the little Polo onesie too :)
Melis

BethieJ said...

Leigh both cards are DARLING!!!
I am thinking we were on the same creative idea with that 1st cute elephant one, mine isnt baby, but the the LO is similar! LOL!! :)
Have a GREAT day!

Jennifer T. said...

I like both cards, but prefer the 2nd card. Love that quilt effect & the colors you chose.

The Paper Parade said...

Both cards are great, but I especially love the second one!! Love the quilted look, the patterned paper on the elephant and that big "D" :) The onesie is adorable, too!

Joyce said...

Both cards are great, but I think I prefer the second card. It is so very 'you'.

Jill said...

Aw, that stepped-up card is just perfect! What a lucky baby boy (and parents!) to receive such an adorable card!

Unknown said...

Love the CAS one! All that white space just makes me happy!

Tracey McNeely said...

Both great cards, but I really like the second one.

Debbie Gaydos said...

Both of these cards are so sweet, Leigh! Great job hand-cutting those elements on the 2nd card. I love the pattern paper too, perfect for a new baby.

Luanne said...

Either one is great! I'm partial to paper piecing though,and that little elephante is awesome!

Gina said...

Both are darling! And congrats on the PTI shout-out, too!!! Well-deserved!!!

Suzanne Russell said...

Adorable, Leigh! I guess the second one is my favorite-I love the patchwork feel . Happy weekend!

Unknown said...

Love them both! Super cute.

Kristii said...

I love them both!!! Sooooo very cute!!!

Kelly Griglione said...

Congrats on the shout-out, Leigh! Very well deserved ... love both of your cards!

LEG Studios said...

Both of your baby cards are so cute. Great job on "stepping-up" with your 2nd one!!