Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Sketchbook 4 -- Sketch #5

I'd forgotten how challenging some of Kelly Purkey's Sketchbook sketches can be.... they're definitely good at getting me outside of my comfort zone! I thought yesterday's circles were challenging, but today's sketch had large rectangles placed on.... gasp!.... angles! Eek! For someone who loves 90 degree angles, this can be a little stressful!

But here's what I came up with...

For my layout, I chose a photo I took of Jonah displaying his talent on our trampoline. I cut strips of Simple Stories patterned paper and adhered them on an angle with some PTI Distressed Stripes stamped in between.

I used PTI cardstock (rustic cream, canyon clay), stamps (distressed stripes) and dies (block alphabet). The patterned paper is Simple Stories.

I typed out my journaling on the computer, after my patterned paper was adhered. I adhered my strip of cardstock in place and then trimmed off the edges of my background.


And here's the card I made:

I used PTI cardstock (rustic white, aqua mist, harvest gold), stamps (distressed stripes, modern wood mats, boy basics: game on) and dies (mat stack #5, seeing stars). The patterned paper is Studio Calico and the star border stamps & decorative brad are My Mind's Eye.

Thanks for looking!

6 comments:

Taheerah said...

Great layout and card combo Leigh! Really clever how you adjusted your journalling to fit the layout. I fell in love with that Simple Stories paper myself, I have to try and stop myself from using it on everything! Distressed Stripes is the perfect accompaniment here to break up the design - I'm going to have to remember to pair those two!

... oh, and now seeing your card I've had to add that My Mind's Eye set to my collection - I just love those little stars!!

Mayol said...

Awesome layout, Leigh! i love the colors that you used on your card - they're yummy! am also one of those who go eek! at angles :) You did a great job with the angles!

Elena said...

so great that you're being pushed to create things you wouldn't have thought of - I think you rocked it! Love the scrap page, but I think I'll have to case the card design ;)

Unknown said...

I love the strips of paper going at an angle! Great layout and card!

Jill said...

Amazing is right! Good for you, Leigh, for jumping (pun intended) outside your comfort zone. These are both great!

Jen Adcock said...

Holy Smokes Leigh! You're on fire! Lovely combo of papercrafting genius here. I really love Distress Stripes. So great to see them put to such good use. Killer.