Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Roll the Dice Challenge: attempts #1 & #2


This week's Make It Monday at Papertrey Ink: Roll the Dice Challenge is such a fun idea! Erin came up with a chart that we're to fill out with her sketches and our supplies and then the idea is to roll the dice 6 times, and the number you get tells you what you're going to use on your card.

Here's my chart:

(You can click on it to make it larger.)

And here's what I got when I rolled the dice the first time:


At first, I was a little tempted to cheat.... because I don't really like making horizontal cards... but then I realized that that would totally defeat the purpose of the game... I decided that rather than turning Erin's sketch, I would simply use her sketch and stretch it out so it worked horizontally, if that makes sense.

I should also explain that I don't do as well with more than three colours for a colour combo... so I thought to make it a little easier for myself, I picked only three. Erin said we could add other items to our projects, so I knew that I could add another colour into the mix if I wanted.

Here's the card that I made following the rolls that I got:







I used PTI cardstock (aqua mist, rustic white, pure poppy), stamps (pretty peonies, strawberry sentiments), felt (aqua mist), button, twine, impression plate (simple stripes) and dies (half & half, pretty peonies, tiny tags.)

Here's a close-up of the little felt heart where I incorporated my button:


So, after I finished my card, I thought that I'd use the same "roll the dice combo" I'd gotten and make a layout with it. Here's what I came up with:


I used most of the same supplies, but added some Raspberry Fizz cardstock & felt to the mix, to coordinate with the dog collar on Sage's Gogo. I also used On the Farm stamps, for the pull out journaling at the top, and script alphabet and tag sale #5 dies. Here's a close-up of my title-- I was so pleased I pulled this off with the Strawberry Sentiment stamps!


Thanks for looking!

12 comments:

Luanne said...

Awesome!! I can't wait to try this out... You met the challenge very well!

Joyce said...

Wow--such a great job on the challenge. This challenge scares me, but you did so well.

Leah said...

You did so great with the challenge Leigh! I love the card and your LO is great too:) This challenge is a little too much work for me...*lol*

Elena said...

luv. you can't go wrong with those colors :)

Audrey said...

Such great projects, Leigh! Your stitching is perfect... I really wish I wasn't so afraid of my sewing machine. Beautiful job!!

carol (krillsister) said...

Lovely card and layout. Love the color combinations. i need to try this one.

Jill Norwood said...

Great job on the challenge! Both the card and layout are lovely! Beautiful photos of your sweet daughter!

Anonymous said...

Very beautiful cards. You are so ambitious. The red really makes everything pop.

glorygirl said...

Great card and layout!!! Love how you used the combinations for both of them!

Karen C. said...

Great take on the card layout and challenge. The colour combo is bright and cheery!!

Kara said...

gorgeous color combination!!

Michelle said...

I love how you've changed the sketch slightly to work on the horizontal. You've ended up with such a pretty card!