Friday, March 22, 2013

Five for Friday


1. Things I'm looking forward to....

spring to arrive (oh, please come!)
the snow to go away (I'm totally done with it!) 
Sage's assembly this afternoon (she's playing corn -- I'm sure she's going to nail it!)
spring break (it starts officially at 3:50 today!) 
scrapbooking with my friends tonight at my at my LSS 


2. Festival season has begun. I've been volunteering as chairperson for a few sessions, including Wednesday's vocal session where Sage and Jonah sang with their respective choirs. So fun to see them perform!

I also got to go along to Brandon last week for their Jazz Festival. Austin's Jazz Choir performed three songs.


(Austin is in the centre of the back row.)
I was asked to go on stage during the second and third songs to hold the music sheets for the pianist, so I was able to take this cool shot.



3. I made another layout for this week's Make It Monday at Papertrey Ink: Inked Backgrounds. I found these photos in my photo box that I took two Easters ago...


I used some Crate (off-white background) and My Mind's Eye (diagonal stripes, photo frame) patterned paper. I stamped some rustic white cardstock with my new Waltzingmouse Stamp and then inked over it with some CTMH Cranberry ink.

For my title, I used my new Headlines Alphabets stamps from PTI, as well as some MME enamel dots and a Pink Paislee arrow that I inked with PTI Harvest Gold ink. I also used a PTI Basic Labels stamp for the date.



4. I thought I'd play along with the 10 Minute Craft Dash #14.



Or maybe I should say, attempted to play along. I picked out my supplies and decided to use Retrosketches #54:



So, here's the card I made... using Echo Park patterned paper, PTI cardstock (classic kraft, berry sorbet), my PTI tag sale #5 die, PTI classic kraft button twine and a SU! build-a-brad. I stamped the sentiment with a Simon Says stamp in PTI Ripe Avocado ink.




And here's my time....




So, yeah, epic fail.


5. But determined to succeed, I tried again. I used most of the same supplies, but used a PTI Fabulous Frames die and some PTI buttons instead.

Here's what I ended up with...




And here's my time...




Success!

I'm always amazed at how quickly 10 minutes go by!

I'm also linking up these two cards for this week's Simon Says Stamp Challenge, which is to make a spring/easter card.



Thanks for looking!

22 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow that is really pretty!! That pattern paper is calling spring. What pattern pack is it from?

Tara Elias said...

Go Austin! Must have ben a proud moment for you. Love the idea of a ten minute challenge... I should try that! I might surprise myself :)

Have a nice weekend and spring break!!

jan metcalf said...

Sweet cards!

Miriam Prantner said...

Great photos and great cards! I think I actually like the faster one better!

Ela said...

J'adore !

Karen C. said...

I love your 9:57.3 card, Leigh. What a great way to highlight the patterned paper and add a sentiment panel all at the same time. I`m definitely going to try this layout. Hope you enjoy your spring break and the weather cooperates. We still have tons of snow here, but it`s starting to melt this week now that it is getting warmer and the days are longer!!

Alanna said...

Great cards and layout. I hope you enjoy your spring break.

Wida said...

I cannot do this challenge, especially when both cards are beautiful but is considered a failure because you were a pinch over. I thought u did great! It's a sweet sping perfect for PC mag kind of cards.

Michelle said...

Wow, Leigh! What a jam-packed post full of wonderfulness! Your cards are beautiful, as are your family. :-) I wish I could hear the kids singing, I bet they sounded awesome.

Joyce said...

I would not say you failed, if you are only 1 minute over. Both cards are really wonderful, and I certainly hope spring comes your way soon. It's here already.

craftmates said...

Lovely layout and cards Leigh! The colours remind me of spring. I am also done with winter! - Irma

Lin said...

Love these soft colors, Leigh, perfect for a spring card! Thanks for sharing with us at the Simon Says Stamp challenge this week!

Linda Nicholson said...

Very nice layout Leigh! I love how you used the WMS background. Your cards are also both beautiful...love the papers...they just scream Spring!

We have Spring break this week too (ours started yesterday with a full day off) and we have cold and snow in CO. I'm done with winter too.

Linda

Paulina said...

Both of these cards are BEAUTIFUL! I need to be on the lookout for this patterned paper- it's so stunning! I'm so glad that you decided to give the challenge another go- your second attempt is absolutely perfect. (And yes, I'm still envious of your amazing stitching skills)

Thank you for joining along in the 10 Minute Craft Dash, Leigh!

Lyndal said...

FAB cards Leigh - amazing sewing skills :) I'd never even attempt to go near a sewing machine for the Craft Dash - it would take me 10 minutes just to thread the machine LOL
So glad you joined in the fun at the 10 Minutes Craft Dash, hope to see you again soon!

Lynn said...

So pretty. I actually like your second card better. Can't even imagine sewing on a Craft Dash challenge! You are brave!

Meredith MacRitchie said...

Leigh, how on earth did you manage stitching in 10 minutes?! Well, I have to haul my machine out when it's time to sew, so that doesn't help me I guess.

I love BOTH cards for our challenge, and I wouldn't say not-even-a-minute over is an epic fail - it's a beautiful card, and I can see why it needed some extra time. They're both gorgeous - LOVE the colours of the papers. Thanks for playing with us, friend!

cassie said...

Both gorgeous! I have those SU brads, but forgot I even had them so thanks for the reminder :)

Thanks for playing along with us over at the 10 Minute Craft Dash. I hope you'll join us again soon!

Lindsey said...

These are lovely. I'm always so impressed with how you use patterned paper. The results are always beautiful.

Lisa's Creative Niche said...

This is stunning congrats on the win you totally deserved it! Would love to see how you made this card! The stamping is beautiful!

Luanne said...

Leigh, you rock! What a pretty card. Congrats on your win too!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your win at the craft dash :) The way your used your PP is amazing!