Thursday, May 30, 2013

May Creative Weekly, part 2



In my kitchen, I have a shelf. On this shelf, I like to display a project in a frame. For the last couple of years, it's been a Bible verse printed on some MME patterned paper.

However, I'm longing for summer. On Tuesday, I decided to change up some of the decor in our house. I took away most of the candles and other knick knacks and put out some summer themed items. And, I was inspired to change what was in the frame.

I printed up some favourite photos from a trip to the beach last summer (you might have noticed them on this layout here). But I love them so much, I decided that I'd love to have them on display for the season.

I decided to use some of Crate's newest line: The Pier and create something for the May Creative Weekly Challenge on the Crate Paper Blog: Summer Splash.

Here's what I came up with, using Crate Paper patterned paper and slide frames.


I layered the frames over all three of my photos. That blue matches the blue I have in my kitchen-- I love it!



For my journaling, I took some lyrics from my new favourite song: Every Good Thing by The Afters. I created my title and cut it out with my Silhouette Portrait, using that yummy Crate Paper woodgrain patterned paper. I'm so glad I bought two sheets of that right away!


I added a few banners I made diecutting some words on the Crate Paper patterned paper with my PTI double-ended banner die, which I embellished a little with MME enamel dots. (Wouldn't it be great if Crate started making these to coordinate with their lines? I'd love to have some in this green, that blue and off white, that soft yellow....)

I should mention that the "this" banner is from Elle's Studio, which I cut down to fit on my layout.



And here's how it looks on my shelf....


I wasn't even thinking about the wall colour when I chose the background paper, but look how well it coordinates! Love that!

Thanks for looking!

11 comments:

Lindsay said...

What a great idea Leigh, it looks fabulous! Love that stand too!

Sherrie M. said...

Such a gorgeous collage! Great piece to inspire and show off Leigh. Love the new look of your blog too.

@JoyceCasaldi said...

It's lovely, ad the lyrics are beautiful!

Miriam Prantner said...

This is beautiful! A gorgeous display piece!

tonyamaries said...

Leigh your layouts make me want to start scrapbooking again. You have such a wonderful eye for details. This is really a neat project and bonus it fits the color scheme of your decor!

Heather DG said...

Leigh, I just love this! I especially like how you kept some of the pics the full size then used the frames to draw the eye to the important areas. Such a pretty and meaningful decoration for your kitchen!

gardener said...

You have blessed me with inspiration for a scrapbook layout for last year's vacation with special friends. Love those frames overlaying the pictures. Thanks! Yeh, the blue is outstanding!

Geri said...

Just beautiful, Leigh! And I love the song! Recommended it to my praise team leader at the last practice! (We'll see;)

Joyce said...

This looks great. How fun to make a piece of art for your house.

Sherri said...

This is gorgeous Leigh, love how you've captured the joy in your kiddos, really like the filter you used on two of the pix too. I always struggle with decor type projects, but you knocked this one out of the park.

Kathy Mc said...

Perfect decor for the season, Leigh! This looks fabulous on your kitchen shelf. What fun memories to live by every. single. day!