Friday, May 13, 2016

Five for Friday

1. I've been in the mood to organize lately.
I signed up for the Inkwell Press 4 Week Challenge,
which has been encouraging me to organize my personal spaces.
And from there, I'm tackling other areas as well --
my linen closet, the junk drawer in my kitchen, my basement bookcases, etc.
It feels great to declutter, purge and reorganize my things!
If you'd like to see what I've done so far, I've been posting my progress on Instagram.


2. My purging has also carried over to my stamping supplies.
I've added to my "for sale" list here, if you're interested in checking it out.
I have stamps and dies from Papertrey Ink, Wplus9, Altenew, Sweet 'n Sassy, Winnie & Walter, etc.


3. We've been pretty busy lately... or at least my kids have been!


Jonah's Junior High Jazz Choir hosted a coffee house and we got to hear
all of the songs they've learned this year.
Jonah sang a solo in Man in the Mirror -- that's him in the front row -- he did such a great job!


Austin has a fun role in his high school play: 
Trixie the Teen Detective and the Mystery of Gravestead Manor.
He played Professor Harlow Biedermeier, an archeologist.


Sage won two awards at the Morden Festival of the Arts: one for vocal and a second for 
sacred vocal, where she sang His Eye is on the Sparrow.
She was asked to perform at the Festival Highlights program, where she sang Chase the Wind, from Brave.


Jonah and I were also asked to play at Festival.
We played "Mission Impossible" on the piano and added a fun "fight scene" where Sage
 came on stage and "attacked" Jonah while he was playing (he had four measures of rests while I played on my own.)
He fought her off and then returned to our duet, with perfect timing, of course. 
It was very fun!


4. I do have something exciting coming up tomorrow.....
I'm testing for my 3rd degree black belt in taekwondo.
I feel I'm ready, but I'm nervous, too!
Wish me luck!




I created my mask using the large flower die from Bloomers.
I used it twice with Altenew Lavender Fields ink and PTI Aqua Mist.
I created a second and third mask using a Wplus9 leaves dies
and added Spring Moss ink to my card.
I stamped the centres in versamark and heat embossed them in gold.


Then, I diecut three Bloomers flowers from vellum and heat embossed the centres as well.
I rubbed the edges of the largest one in versamark and heat embossed the edges in gold.
I stamped the sentiment (from Songbirds) in aqua mist.

I'm also linking this up to this week's Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge: Flowers.

Thanks for looking!

25 comments:

Lynn said...

Love seeing what your family is up to. Such wonderful times together! Good luck with your testing tomorrow. I have no doubt you will be awesome!

lainey said...

Pretty color combination with all that gold!

Karen B. said...

The vellum is a gorgeous addition!

Lisa Elton said...

So nice seeing the photos of the kids Leigh!! GOOD luck tomorrow!! Pretty card today, love the gold!!

Kelly said...

such a pretty card. good luck tomorrow!

Bobby said...

What a talented family you all are, Leigh. It's so much fun to see your kids (or grandkids in my case) share their talent with the world. And for you to participate with them must be amazing. Your card is wonderful. I love that you added the cuts from the vellum back on the card.

Betty said...

your card is gorgeous Leigh - and love the pic of Sage - brings back memories of my daughter - she is now a vocal music professor and will be teaching at the University of Texas in the fall

maria f. said...

So glad I came by to tell you how much I love your card design. What a treat to see what you've all been up to. Your kids must be so talented. And funny to hear that you're organizing. I just spent five hours on iheartorganizing's blog last night. Getting motivated. Now I just gotta do it! Yay for you.

Marybeth said...

You do should like one busy and talented family! You must be so proud! Your card is gorgeous trimmed in gold Leigh!

foleysfriend said...

You are one of many talents - from piano duets (while dodging a fight scene) to 3rd degree black belt in taekwondo to creating beautiful works of art. Good luck in your test (you won't need it though!)

Patti said...

Thank you for sharing photos of your tremendously talented family!! congrats to them for their well deserved recognition! Your card is perfectly done! I love how you edged your vellum with gold! the perfect touch : )

Patti

Cris G. said...

Congratulations on all your family's successful moments, and good luck for you tomorrow!
This card is beautiful, love the vellum flowers and gold embossing along with the blended ones.

Marcia Hill said...

Beautiful, beautiful card Leigh...love the soft colors with the vellum and gold embossing! And what talented kids you have...love the pics! And good luck tomorrow!! :0)

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

Talented kids, congrats to you Proud mama!
I love your take on MIM this week, such a pretty card, especially the addition of vellum.

Ruth said...

Love your five for Friday posts. It's always nice to hear about what you all get up to. You have a very talented family! Good luck with your test :) Love the card, especially with the vellum added with the gold. Looks lovely. Xx

Emily E said...

Love the gold embossing and the vellum it really adds some wow to your card!

laurie said...

Wow your family is a busy one! Enjoy..... the time goes by TOO quickly!!! Your card is so pretty...love that vellum and bits of gold!

Diana K said...

Thanks for all of the fun updates and for including some pics of Jonah :) Love how talented your entire family is! And your MIM card is fabulous and beautifully done.

Greta said...

Such a talented family! Hope your test went well, Leigh--bet you nailed it! Beautiful use of the MIM technique!

Sadie said...

Great card!! Love the gold touches and pretty colors!

Nora Noll said...

I love your updates. LOVE the photos!! That MIM card is STUNNING!!!

Lindsey said...

Oh, Leigh this card is beautiful. I SO loved reading all the updates! What a talented bunch you all are!! Just reading your post makes me feel the need to organize something, too. :)

Audrey Pettit said...

Love your Friday Five posts! You guys are all SO talented! Good luck on your testing, Leigh, and congrats to the kids on all their accomplishments! Your card is gorgeous, too. So, so elegant with the vellum and embossing, and love all the overlapping elements!

Vikki H said...

I look forward to your Friday fives! Being a musician myself it's fun to see your family's escapades! Your MIM card is gorgeous with all the gold, vellum and yummy colors!

Mandy said...

Gorgeous card Leigh! It's so elegant and pretty & I love the gold embossing & vellum flower.
Thanks for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge
Mandy xx