Friday, May 20, 2016

Five for Friday

1. First of all, I wanted to let you know that I passed my test on Saturday 
and am now a third degree black belt in taekwondo!
I thought my test went really well and that I performed everything they asked
me to do to the best of my ability and that I answered the questions they asked me well.


Jonah and Sage didn't test (they got their second degree poom belts last May and will have
to wait two more years to test again.)

I was hoping to board break, but they didn't ask me to do that.
I was also hoping they'd ask me how many knuckle pushups I could do, because 
I wanted to answer: "My age."
And when they would ask what that was, I was going to answer: "26."
And then, I was going to say: "Oh, wait, that's my Wii Fit age. I guess my real age is 43." ;)
I thought it would have been funny, but they didn't ask.
(But, on the bright side, I didn't have to do the knuckle pushups at the test either,
so I guess it was okay.)


2. Jonah had his piano recital on Sunday afternoon.
He played two solo pieces and we got to play our Mission Impossible duet together again.


He's had a great year.
He started with a new teacher in the fall, but it's been a great fit.
She's super encouraging and very talented.
Jonah and I are in awe of her!
And, he said he'd continue with piano lessons in the fall -- yay!


3. Sage had her voice recital on Monday evening, which went very well.
She sang two pieces by herself and one with her friend, Faith.


We are so sad that her teacher won't be offering lessons in the fall,
but we were able to get on with another teacher in our town,
so hopefully she will be a great fit for Sage, too.


4. And Jonah had a busy week this week...
First of all, he played the part of one of the three little pigs in Shrek Jr. 
(his junior high musical) on Tuesday, Wednesday and last night 
(which was the performance we attended. It was excellent!)


So much makeup! But he looked adorable!
He sang with the choir and acted on stage.
He even danced -- it was so fun to watch!
His expressions were priceless and he was always engaged.


And, the Grade 8s at his school also had a Medieval Feast today,
where they dress up in costume and host the parents for lunch.


We rented his costume -- doesn't he look amazing?
 He was chosen to represent his class at the head table,
as well as be the Lord of the Feast, where he emceed everything. 


I think it's so fun that their school does this each year!



5. Lastly, I have two cards that I wanted to share that I made using Reverse Confetti 
products for this week's Paper Players PP295 Challenge:  


When I saw the graphic, I immediately thought of making a card using 
the sweet giraffes from Lift Me Up.
I also needed to make some baby cards to sell, so I decided to rifle
through my patterned paper stash and these are what I came up with...


I used the front and back of an older sheet of My Mind's Eye 
patterned paper for both of my cards.
I stamped the giraffe from Lift Me Up onto its coordinating Lift Me Up Confetti Cuts
and coloured him in using Zig Markers, some water and a paintbrush.
I stamped the sentiment from Bear Hugs onto a piece of cardstock
that I diecut using a Stitched Flag Trio Confetti Cuts and trimmed down.


A trio of buttons and twine finishes it off.


And I made my second card the same way, 
except that I opted to not include the banner.


And I tied on only two buttons instead of three.


 

 

Thanks for looking!

20 comments:

Lynn said...

I love all the pictures of your family with their end of the year recitals and plays. The joy in their faces is beautiful! And way to go on Taekwondo. You are incredible!

Karen B. said...

Your cards are the cutest!

Diana K said...

Those two cards are so sweet - somehow I always struggle with baby cards, why I don't know. Love the continuing adventures of the Penner family! Your kids are so diversified and well socialized - music, theatre and sports. You're really giving them a wonderful base for all of life's coming experiences. Congratulations to you and your husband. And third degree black belt for you? Wow!

Linda Callahan said...

So much joy in this post! Congrats to you and your sweet kiddos on all your accomplishments! And after all that you go home and make these sweet baby cards!

Audrey Pettit said...

Love your Friday posts, my friends! You guys always have so many great things going on! Congrats to the kiddos on their performances, and huge congrats to you on your Taekwondo testing! You guys rock!
And love your cards! I am a sucker for the little critters and these are adorable!

Betty said...

what fun pics today Leigh - and such a cute card too!!

Megan Carroll said...

Congrats Leigh, looks like you had a very successful week!!

alexandra s.m. said...

Love your 5 on Friday Leigh and your cards are so adorable!
Mega congrats to you as a artist, as a mom and as a role model!!

Lisa's Creative Niche said...

What an awesome time you've all had!!! Congratulations!

Happy Dance said...

Congrats on your 3rd degree black belt. That takes hard work and dedication - Amazing YOU!! Your kids look like they are involved in so many good things, and you must be so proud of them. It's easy to see how God has richly blessed your family. Your cards are so darn sweet! Perfect for babies, and those giraffes are adorable! Have a wonderful weekend. Bev

Diane Jaquay said...

You and your family certainly have been busy, Leigh! Congrats on earning your belt! I love your card, simply adorable!!

Melody said...

Third degree black belt! That is pretty impressive!! Love the pictures of your kids. Looks like you are a busy mom! And of course your card is adorable as always!

Ruth said...

Always love your round up and am so happy to see you all doing well and you passed!! I love your card - that little giraffe is so super cute! Xx

Tracey McNeely said...

A great update post Leigh, you and your kids are doing amazing things! Love your cards!

Colleen Begley said...

Love these sweet giraffe cards! I need to make a welcome baby card and I just may have to CASE you. Thanks for playing along with LeAnne's Wild Thing challenge this week.

Joanne James - The Crafty Owl said...

So many fabulous achievements Leigh for you and your family - you must be so proud. And a super-cute baby card to boot! Thanks for joining us over at The Paper Players this week!

Kay Miller said...

Oh my!! Congratulations on getting your black belt! That is seriously amazing!! Such an accomplishment! All of your pictures are so fun to see! Your kids are just amazing too! :) Your card is as sweet as it can be! Saw it on IG and loved it immediately! :)

Jen Mitchell said...

Congratulations on your Taekwondo black belt! I can't even imagine all the hard work you put into that achievement! Bravo! And I'm so impressed that among all the events with your kiddos you still managed to make a couple of terrific cards. You go Wonder Woman!

Lisa Elton said...

CONGRATS on your black belt, way to go!! Terrific pictures of the kiddos and all their happenings. Adorable cards too!!

Jinny Newlin said...

Oh, my gracious! So much going on! LOVE all the pics, Leigh! And congratulations on your third degree black belt! You go, girl! Oh, and I can't forget your darling creations... I NEED that giraffe! LOVE it to bits and pieces!