Saturday, May 09, 2015

Six for Saturday

Hi there!
I wasn't able to post my usual Five for Friday post.
I thought about leaving it for a week, but so much has been going on, 
that I thought it might be best to post a Six for Saturday instead.
Thanks for indulging me!

1. It's my firstborn's birthday today.


Yes, that's right, Austin turns 16 today.
I can't believe it!
How/when did that happen?
I still remember his birth so clearly -- how can that be sixteen years ago?
Anyway, in honour of his big day, he's invited three friends over for supper
and then we're going to go see Avengers 2 Age of Ultron in the theatre.

Here's the cake I made:


It's the Avenger's symbol, but I figured the A can also stand for Austin. 
I tried to do something with the icing so that it would blend the colours, like ombre.
But I discovered that icing doesn't work that way. ;)


2. Today is also a big day for Jonah & Sage.
They're testing for their 2nd degree poom belts.
Pray for Sage, though.
She caught a terrible cold and hasn't been feeling well at all. :(


3. Last weekend, Austin was a part of the musical his high school
put on: Annie Get Your Gun.


He did such a great job!
We went to see it Friday night and loved it!
Sage enjoyed it so much that she used her own money
that she earned at our garage sale last Saturday to buy her ticket.
My sister-in-law took her.


4. Austin's jazz choir, Sound F/X, put on their annual coffee house last night.


But with this being Austin's first year in the choir, this was out first time attending.
This photo was taken during In My Life, where Austin has a large solo throughout the song.
It was a wonderful evening filled with fabulous performances
by the choir -- they really seem to love singing together!


5. Yesterday, Austin auditioned to be a part of the Central Manitoba Youth Choir (CMYC).
It seemed to go well.... Apparently she was impressed with how high he can sing.
I'm really hoping he gets in.
I just think it will be a great opportunity to make some friends who
love singing as much as he does!


and it started on Tuesday.
While I'm not allowed to post the sketch here on my blog,
I thought I'd still post the projects that I make with it.

I've challenged myself to make a layout and a card for each sketch.

Here's the layout I made for Sketch 1:


I used some Crate Paper Confetti patterned paper as my background.
I printed my subtitle and journaling onto some PTI aqua mist cardstock
and added the title, which I cut out on my Silhouette.


Pretty simple.
I love this selfie!

Here's the journaling:


I love being able to document the stories I want to remember!

And my best friend asked if I could make a couple of Mother's Day cards for her.
so I used the Sketch 1 for one of them.

six for Saturday Leigh Penner #cards #MIM

I stamped the flowers from Brushed Blooms onto a piece of cardstock
that I diecut using the Shaker Shapes: Rectangle die from PTI.
Then, using my red Gelato and a tissue, I applied some colour to my card around
the berry sorbet/pure poppy blooms for this week's Make It Monday at Papertrey Ink:

I stamped my sentiment using Wplus9's Mother's Day Bouquet stamp set.

I'm also linking this card up to the current Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge:

Thanks for looking!

9 comments:

Lynn said...

Saying prayers for Austin and Sage today. Looking forward to hearing how well they do. Love all the pictures. Nothing like hearing children sing to make your heart happy! And as always Leigh a gorgeous layout and card!

Audrey Pettit said...

I'm so glad you didn't skip your Friday 5 post, Leigh, as I always LOVE these posts! You have truly amazing kiddos. I love how involved they are in different activities. You are doing one fabulous job, Momma! Huge happy birthday wishes to Austin! And LOVE your beautiful sketch 1 projects! The ticket print could not be more perfect for your roller coaster story. Love the big title lettering cut from polka dotty paper, too. That just makes me smile. And gorgeous Mother's Day card!

Diana K said...

Can't believe you have time to make so many layouts and cards. Your kiddos are so active and have such diverse interests. Love the (ombré) birthday cake :) and happy birthday to Austin.

Alanna said...

Wow you have a lot going on. Your kids look great. I love the layout and that beautiful card.

Megan Carroll said...

Sounds like a great week, you have such a talented family!!

Happy birthday to Austin and I hope Sage feels better.

sableturquoise said...

happy 16 to your artist austin !

cm said...

Happy Belated 16th Birthday, Austin! Hope your day was fantastic (Avengers movie: right on!) and wishing you a year full of new discoveries! Congrats, too, on all your singing and acting accomplishments. How wonderful that you share these gifts with others (and kudos for your courage in performing before crowds! I'd definitely be stage-struck!). Hope you'll be selected for CMYC; you'd be an asset for sure! To Jonah and Sage: fingers crossed you met your goals yesterday, and to you, Sage, sending hugs that you're feeling better. Wow, Leigh...yet again, a post that sees me beaming with joy at this amazing family you have; yet again evidence of what an amazing mom YOU are! Good on you for taking the Sketchbook class: A+++ on both your projects! Awesome!
~c

Joyce said...

Such fun to catch up on the doings of your busy family. Happy Birthday to your big guy--mine will be 16 soon, too. Is the driving age 16 in Canada?

Monika/Buzsy said...

Happy Belated Birthday to Austin. Time goes fast... awesome cake! :) The ticket background looks awesome on the scrap page.