Friday, November 18, 2011

Five for Friday

1. It's been a good week. Well, except for the fact that I caught a cold. That hasn't been great. But Cold F/X and Tylenol Cold have been helping quite a bit.


2. This is the second year that Jonah has been singing in the voluntary choir at school. He has such a sweet voice-- I love listening to him sing! This week, his choir sang at ChoralFest in Winnipeg. I wanted to volunteer to go along, but they had enough volunteers. And even though Cameron drove the school bus for the choir, Jonah still wanted me to come. So, my friend, Susan, and I drove to Wpg to watch him sing-- the way his face lit up when he saw me was fabulous! It definitely made the trip in worth it! (& listening to the choir sing, too, of course! Oh, and going out for lunch with Susan and doing a little shopping-- that was good, too. ;) )

3. Austin is testing for his poom (junior black) belt tomorrow! I'm so excited and nervous for him! I think I'm more nervous for him than I was at my test in May! LOL! And is Austin nervous? Well, he says he is, but he still seems pretty cool about the whole thing.... maybe it'll sink in when we get there! Regardless, I'm super proud of him and the hard work and commitment he's shown to get here.

4. Amber Ink is sponsoring this week's challenge at Totally Papercrafts, a U.K. challenge site. This week's challenge is Black & White.

So, I made this card (to which I couldn't resist adding a little red):


For this card, I used Amber Ink patterned ipaper & digital stamp, Papertrey Ink cardstock (rustic white), stamps (bb:newsprint, postmarks), and dies (double-ended banner builder, wonderful words).

5. And I had so much fun making the black and white card, that I decided to make a second one. I also combined this with a friendly challenge--- at my fundraising Crop for the Congo, my friend, Marlo, handed me some of her scraps and said: "Here, make a card with these." So, here you go, Marlo...


For this card, I used Amber Ink patterned ipaper, Echo Park patterned paper (Marlo's scraps), Papertrey Ink cardstock (true black, rustic white), stamp (Think Big Favourites #3), and die (tag sale #5).

Thanks for looking!

12 comments:

Pam said...

You are just too busy to have a cold- doubt that would stop you anyway! Love your Fricay 5. How neat to surprise your son like that. Lovin' how you are inspiring yourself w/your challenge cards. They really are stunning, and a little red never hurt anybody. Have a great weekend and good luck to w/the poom.

Joyce said...

Sorry you had a cold, but it sounds like you had a good week anyway. And, two nice cards. Love the black & white with the red.

merryf said...

Leigh, I love these black-and-white cards! A dear friend of mine is completely color-blind and I always have trouble making him birthday cards. Now I've got some great ideas!

Marlo said...

Only you can manage to use up scraps in such a fabulous way! I have soooo many scraps that I just toss. I guess I need to make a bin that is "scraps for Leigh to make something amazing with".

Keep It Sweet and Simple said...

Really striking cards and so elegant. Just love your CAS style.
Caroline xxx

Lisa T said...

Great cards! Thanks for participating in the Totally Papercrafts B&W challenge!

Deb said...

Love your Five on Friday. Fabulous cards!

Stressed Stamper said...

2 stunning cards there....Brilliant
Thanks for joining in at Totally Papercrafts - Good Luck
Sarah x

Suzanne said...

A-maz-ing cards, Leigh! Love 'em!
Hope you feel better soon!

carol (krillsister) said...

Love both cards. You did a great job with the scraps. good luck to your son tomorrow. Hope you feel better.

Kara said...

love them...especially the first one!!

Turtle In The Sand said...

Very dramatic cards there. Thanks for representing Echo Park at Totally PaperCrafts Black and White Challenge this week. **Linda