Sunday, November 20, 2011

He did it!

Yesterday, Austin and I drove to Winnipeg for Austin to test for his poom (junior black) belt. He seemed pretty calm on the drive in. His only concern was being asked to do more knuckle push-ups than he was able to do.

He got called up twice with his group. They asked him to perform kicks and patterns, to kick targets, do step sparring and controlled sparring.


He also got to break a board, with the kick of his choice. He chose axe kick and broke it on his first try!


And guess what? They never asked his group to do knuckle push-ups! He was so relieved and happy about this!

Here he is getting his new belt.


And standing with the other three new pooms:


They took a group photo of all the black and poom belts present:


And we got a few other shots, too. Here we are together:


Here's Austin with our instructor, Master Allison Braun (she tested for her fifth Dan yesterday):


And with Master Lea:


And because I was so proud of Austin and the hard work he's put into this, I made him a card to let him know:


I used Papertrey Ink cardstock (soft stone, pure poppy, stamper's select white), stamps (wonderful words, grunge me and boy basics: game on) and dies (wonderful words).

Thanks for looking!

13 comments:

Karen C. said...

Congrats to your son, Leigh. Your card is really awesome. What colour of gray inks are you using? I'm expecting the Soft Stone paper in my next PTI order and just wonder what inks will work with it. Thanks!!

Ted said...

How very awesome! :) And what a great card... you're a wonderful mom. :)

Kathy Mc said...

That is so awesome, Leigh, that Austin did so well. He sure looks like you. Your "so proud of you" card is right on and love your color choices. You should be very proud of him. WTG, Austin!

From the Corner... said...

I love the colour combo! It's all quite crisp and modern.

Joyce said...

What a wonderful achievement. Congratulations to Austin. And, he got an amazing card, as well!

carol (krillsister) said...

Congratulations to Austin. You look like a beaming mom in those photos. Great card. Love the colors.

Deb said...

So proud of Austin too! And I just love the card that you made him. You did a great job combining grunge me and game on. I need to get that one.

xoxo... t said...

Congratulations to Austin! What an accomplishment!!

Pam said...

YAY!!! and WOW!!!!

Mara Campbell said...

Big congrats to your son!! That is one amazing accomplishment!!

Amy Kolling said...

Congrats to your son! I know personally how much hard work and dedication went into this for him. My husband and son recently finished up but at the very last testing, my son did not get his black belt in the promotion. So my husband decided to rest a while and now they are going to start up again to get their black belts. (My hubby would have gotten his but he didn't want to get his without our son as they went into this together)

Marybeth said...

Love your card, and CONGRATS to your son!

Kim said...

WOW!! Congratulations to Austin! What a proud accomplishment for himself! (and i have to say, that when i first saw the large group photo, my initial thought was "wow, that's a LOT of kids who can kick my butt"...) Haha!

Enjoy celebrating his success - and your special card is awesome!

:)