Sunday, January 06, 2013

2 layouts & 2 cards

I wanted to share two layouts and a card that I made this weekend, using this week's MIM: Chalkboard Technique.

I thought this technique would be perfect for scrapbooking my kids' back to school photos. I used Crate Paper patterned paper & American Crafts cardstock (12x12). I also used Papertrey Ink cardstock (ocean tides), stamps (outline alphabet, happy trails), buttons and twine.


Here's a close-up of my journaling:


For this next layout, I decided to use the first stamped chalkboard technique that I'd made while making this layout. I'd had the words stamped but hadn't been happy with the embossing, so I'd set it aside and started over. In retrospect, I decided the embossing was fine and put it to use on this layout, adding some stamps from PTI's modern woodmats.


The sentiments are a mix of PTI's We Go Together and Movers & Shakers sentiments. I also used some Crate Paper patterned paper & chipboard, Bazzill cardstock (12x12), a PTI die (tag sale #5) and American Crafts thickers.


And my journaling, which is totally true!


I decided to try one more card using this technique. I'd gotten the idea to use the little sledder from PTI's In the Meadow (which I got for Christmas!) and make a hill with a white pencil crayon. I also used PTI cardstock (white, true black), button, twine and some Crate Paper patterned paper.


And lastly, I wanted to share a thank you card that my daughter made for her uncle and aunt. She wanted to try the chalkboard technique, after seeing me attempt it so many times this week so I walked her through the process (and helped her with the heat gun). She chose to use numbers because she knows my brother loves math! (Can I just say I love how she puts thoughts like that into her cards? Fabulous!)


She used PTI cardstock (true black) & stamps (in the meadow, outline alphabets & movers and shakers sentiments).

Thanks for looking!

10 comments:

Kara said...

suuuper cute scrapbook pages!! love them both!! Adorable cards too:)

katevdp said...

I always love you work Leigh, but didn't realise that you were a time traveller too! Looks like you've already visited the Zoo in the future!!!

Kate

carol (krillsister) said...

Great projects! I especially love the first scrapbook page. those pencils are perfect!
Love how you added the lines to the snowy hills on the card.

Nancy Penir said...

Sage, this is terrific! Looks like a real chalkboard.

Helen F. said...

LOVE the layouts, Leigh...the kiddos are growing so fast, it's nice to preserve them in beautiful photos like this.
Great cards too. This technique could easily become my new fave :)

Tracey McNeely said...

Absolutely love the chalkboard art on the layout and your two cards are fantastic!

craftmates said...

The chalkboard technique is fabulous on all projects! Beautiful! - Irma

Linda Nicholson said...

Your scrapbook pages are always beautiful! Your work just accents those fabulous photos of your kids! I think your first layout is my favorite of the bunch...I really like the fingers showing the grades each are in!

Linda

Tracy said...

okay first - love the school layout - your kids are so cute and i love their showing what grade they're in - and that chalkboard - perfect! the second layout is wonderful as well - and such a great pic of your kids (and more wonderful chalkboard technique). Happy to see you received your "in the meadow" set - and then put it to such good use! i love that little sledder! But the icing on the cake of the whole post - that fabulous card by your daughter! how wonderful is that!? Its just an amazing card! I guess the apple doesnt fall too far from the tree huh?

Kelly Griglione said...

Wow, lots to look at here! Great job incorporating the chalkboard technique on your scrapbook pages! I saw these earlier in the gallery (along with the fun sledder) and finally have time to comment. The chalkboard goes so well with your back-to-school theme! You must be so proud of your daughter's card ... a great concept, great design, and great technique!