Monday, September 26, 2011

Die storage

So, seeing Heather Nichol`s die organization this week made me rethink my die storage system. Basically, I store my PTI dies in the little clear bags they came in, in baskets.

I thought about using the binder system that Heather described, but realized that I would be frustrated with it.

Then, I thought about the stamp storage system that I have, using Tim Holtz folders and wondered if I could adapt it for my dies...

So, I stopped at Staples and picked up an adhesive magnetic roll and gathered the rest of my supplies (some Tim Holtz folders, some white cardstock cut to 8.5x6, with the corners rounded and some scissors.)


Then, I set to work sorting my dies...


I decided to keep like with like, so I sorted by the following categories: tag & labels, my Mat Stacks & Tag Sale, holiday, flowers, leaves, miscellaneous.

Then I fit each category onto a piece of white paper to see if they`d fit.


I cut a piece off the magnetic strip at adhered it to the white paper and laid my die on top. Once I`d done this for every die on the page, I could slide it into a folder.


I repeated the process with each category and ended up with 10 folders full! I haven`t added my Half & Half, border die (I only have one) and lunchbox note dies yet, but it`s starting to feel more organized already. I can just flip through my folders to find the die I`m looking for... easy-peasy.


Thanks for looking!

10 comments:

Jennifer K said...

Leigh, I'd love to know your thoughts on how this is working in a few months. I thought about doing my die storage this way and I made a prototype but I found that my dies kept falling off the magnets every time the paper would bend. I've been searching high and low to find something sturdier in which to attach the magnets. But, then again, maybe it was just my prototype and it works great for others. That's why I was wondering if you still felt it was a good storage system in a few months, after you've lived with it for a while. Thanks for sharing! :)

Joyce said...

Kudos to you for getting organized. This looks like a good system. I am using the hanging CD folders that someone came up with several months ago. It's working for me, if I stay current with my purchases.

Sarah said...

I like this idea better than my "toss it in the drawer" method. And is that homemade cushion on some of the dies?

Lisa said...

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh love this!

Kim said...

...even tho i don't use the dies myself, bravo for being uber creative with problem solving...once again!

:)

Laurie said...

Leigh, will you come to my house and help me? I love this! It looks so organized!

Jen Adcock said...

Well this is all kinds of clever. Plus it actually looks really neat and tidy to boot (not that I am) . I like this a lot. Hmm. Off shopping for supplies now. Thanks a bunch!

cards by cara said...

Love this! Question for you, though - what is the white on top of the dies? Is it ejection foam? Where do you get it from? Can you pm me? I'm so curious!! :)

LEG Studios said...

Great organization idea, Leigh! Thanks for sharing!

@JoyceCasaldi said...

Does this method still work for you, Leigh? or have you tweeked it as you use it?