Friday, May 04, 2012

Five for Friday


1. On Sunday, we attended the Morden Festival of the Arts highlights concert, where Sage performed her French poem that she'd presented for Speech Arts. She was the only one to perform a French poem at the concert! And, both she and Jonah won awards for how well they'd performed their poems. I was so happy for them!

2. The other morning, when I woke up, I could hear Jonah & Sage talking softly. I got up to check and here's what I found:


Jonah had climbed into Sage's bed and was reading to her! It was so sweet, I had to grab my camera to take a picture!

3. They also got pretty creative this week and set up a sumo wrestling ring in the basement, stuffed some pillows in their clothes and played "Penner Sumo Wrestling":





4. Austin was honoured in taekwondo this week.... Master Braun called him to the front of the class to present him with this mini-target key-chain and spoke about the growth she'd noticed in him since becoming a poom belt... how she appreciated his volunteering for the whole day at the tournament, his willingness to work with the new students in class and how she sees him becoming a young leader in the club. I was super proud!

He's got a big day, today, too... This afternoon, he's working at the town library to raise money for their student council's work-a-thon and then tonight, we're having his birthday party (I cannot believe he's turning 13 next week!) He got to pick what we do for his party, so we're going to see The Avengers in the theatre tonight.

5. I got another layout and card done for Kelly Purkey's sketchbook class...I'm up to #11. Only one left and I've finished the workshop. :)

Here's my layout:


I used Echo Park patterned paper, Papertrey Ink cardstock (harvest gold), stamps (Simply You, Movers & Shakers Sentiments) and dies (Edger's #5). The decorative brads are all My Mind's Eye.

For the title, I used the "YOU" from Simply You and then modified the "You're all these things and more" stamp, by selectively inking the "re all these things and more" and then masking so I could stamp just the "A" at the front.


Because the layout was so full, I decided to include some hidden journaling behind the patterned paper, so with the Edger #5 dies. You pull it out to read it  -- some mushy stuff about how I love being his mom. ;)


And here's the card I made, using another one of Nichole's colour combinations for this week's Make It Monday at Papertrey Ink.



I used PTI cardstock (aqua mist, fine linen, berry sorbet, simply chartreus & rustic white), stamps (rosie posie, happy day) & dies (rosie posie, happy day, quatrefoil plate). I used the quatrefoil plate as an impression plate instead of a die. I also stamped with the matching ink on the cardstock to create my flowers.

Thanks for looking!

16 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the quatrefoil plate so much...your card is beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Loved the pics of the kids reading together and "Penner Sumo Wrestling" :) Great LO and great work with the workshop! I haven't even started yet.

Unknown said...

Your cards have been so beatiful this week! I love the quatrefoil impression on today's card! Congrats to your kids on their accomplishments this week!

Deb said...

What a sweet surprise to find your kiddos cuddled in bed reading to one another. That really melts a mother's heart.

And I am really loving how you have been using edgers #5 for your layouts! It's on my radar!

Joyce said...

What a wonderful week you had. Such cute photos.

Cassi said...

your kids are awesome!

love both your lo and the card -- feeling like i might HAVE to CASE the card, it's so beautiful!

Lynn Put said...

Cute pictures of your kids! Love your layout using the Simply You set and the pull out journaling tab is fantastic!
Your Mothers Day card is beautiful, that quatrefoil die is on my wish list, it looks great here!

carol (krillsister) said...

You should be suh a proud mom. what a great pre-mother's day gift. Seiing your two playing reading together is so heart warming. Great layout. Love the seret journaling. Awesome Mother's Day ard. So pretty.

Sandy Kay said...

Leigh, this card is beautiful! I use my quatrefoil die this way all the time. I've only ever used it to cut once or twice, but I love to emboss it!

Kara said...

beautiful projects...such sweet kids:)

Suzanne Russell said...

What sweet memories your kids will have as they look back through your beautiful scrapbooks! I remember when my two stuffed pillows up their shirts and played sumo wrestlers! Thanks for the smile that brings to my heart...love the card-I love the versatility of the quatrefoil impression plate-great background for these beautiful embellishments!

Unknown said...

Leigh it looks like you have some pretty amazing kids :) Love your layout and card too..as always.

cards by cara said...

What a sweet layout and gorgeous card!!

Karen C. said...

Wow! You've been busy!! Your children's photos are adorable - can't wait to see how you scrapbook the 'reading and sumo wrestling' photos. The layout you've shown today is amazing and your card is such a pretty combination of colours and design details. Way to go!!

PatQ's Cards said...

Really a pretty card. Nice layout and love the way you stamped the roses.

LEG Studios said...

You've been busy, Leigh! Love this card too - the combo of quatrefoil and rosie poise is a real winner!