Thursday, May 31, 2012

On the farm banners

When Papertrey Ink first sneak peeked their On the Farm set last month, I thought for sure that I wouldn't be buying it. Sure, we have cattle on my mother-in-law's farm, but I didn't think this set would be terribly versatile. As the week went on though, I saw how different designers used the set and I started to cave. (Of course, it didn't help that Sage kept saying: "A horse and cow stamp set? Buy it!")

Then, Melissa Phillips posted this card... and I knew that I had to have this set. I love how she created a banner with the set!

So, when I pulled the set out yesterday to make a birthday card for my soon-to-be nine year old nephew, I knew I wanted to use this week's Make It Monday at Papertrey Ink: pocket cards with the Barn Die, as well as include a banner.

Here's my card:


I used Papertrey Ink cardstock (lemon drop, rustic white, pure poppy), stamps (on the farm, distressed stripes), impression plate (simple stripes), twine and dies (barn, tag sale #5.) I also used some Crate patterned paper.

Here's a close-up of the banner:


And when you pull out the barn....


.... the doors open up to reveal...


On the back we signed it from Uncle Cam, Aunt Leigh and your "country" cousins: Austin, Jonah and Sage. :)

After I finished the card, I decided to pull out some of my photos that we took at the Brandon Fair. In setting up this layout with photos of Jonah on a horse, I thought that here, too, would be a great place to add  another On the Farm banner.


I used Bo Bunny (background), Crate Paper (green and off white), American Crafts (orange woodgrain) and Simple Stories (stripe, star, off white banners) patterned paper. I also used Papertrey Ink stamps (on the farm), twine and dies (tag sale #5.) I also used some Pink Paislee chipboard letters.

For my journaling, I cut a piece of patterned paper out of the background (behind the photos and the block of patterned paper) and trimmed it down to 2.25" tall and printed my journaling on it. Then, I adhered it to the layout. I'm not quite sure why all of the lines didn't line up, though.... (If you'd like to read the journaling, you can click on the photo to see it bigger.)


And here's a close up of the banner. I had cut out the star from a sheet of patterned paper and adhered it to the banner. Then I thought it needed a little something extra. I was thrilled with how the 100% country stamp fit perfectly!


So, thanks to Melis for the inspiration and to you all for looking!

19 comments:

Arlene said...

WOW, these are amazing projects. Love the way you utilized that stamp set...brilliant.

Annheidel said...

Oh goodness, that pocket card is cute! Love the banners on both projects.

Jennifer K said...

I remember Melissa's card during the countdown - it was gorgeous and my very favorite. You did a great job on your banners and projects.

Carolyne Aarsen said...

Love what you did with this set! Especially the barn card! So fun.

Elena said...

AWESOME.

Unknown said...

oh my gosh! love the barn pocket card! so fun!

Cheryl said...

Leigh, the barn card is brilliant. Great banners, too, and you're making me rethink that impression plate!

Holly Saveur said...

Super card so much fun I am sure he was so happy with it!

pinefeather said...

Leigh, I love the pocket card with the pull-out barn and I especially LOVE the farm banner on the scrapbook page!

Jen Adcock said...

Brava! Your creations are nothing short of genius! You have injected new life into the "pocket" card. Your layouts are always extraordinary and this one follows suit. Beyond inspiring, Leigh!

Kara said...

So cute!! Love it all!!! Great ideas!!

Terri said...

They are both great! I especially like the pocket with the barn.

Luanne said...

Oh my, this is just so stinkin cute!!! I love it!

Linda said...

Cute cards, Leigh.

Laurie said...

Leigh. WOW! I am in love with your card and that layout is fabulous! You are so talented my friend!!

Valérie said...

Magnifique carte pochette! L'idée est simplement géniale! J'ai eu les mêmes hésitations avant d'acheter ce set et finalement il y a des milliers d'utilisation possible. J'adore particulièrement les guirlandes de fanion! Bravo!

Mayol said...

Brilliant use of the banner and the farm stamps together! i love how you layered the banners!

Kim Heggins said...

Wow! I am at a loss of words...this is just so clever and incredible. Makes me want to get that barn die now. Just so fabulous.

Gladys said...

Lovely! Love the banner! :)